Field Missionary Rev. M.J. Bieber visited Galt from April 15 to 17, 1907 and found 74 people of the Lutheran faith. He returned on July 4 and 14 held the first Lutheran service. On August 23rd, the congregation was organized with 96 charter members. From October 1, 1907 to February 1908 Rev. H. Croushore acted in capacity as the supply pastor.
The congregation worshipped at the Seventh Day Adventist church on Roseview and Cambridge for 4 years.
In 1911 the congregation purchased a property on North Street (Now Thorne Street), which was once a Methodist Church.
On January 8th the first service was held, and on February 7th, 1912 the dwelling was consecrated to the service of the Triune God.
In 1960 space again became a problem and St. Pauls purchased the property on Grand Avenue. A new church was built attached to the Davidson House. Architect John Lingwood of Kitchener designed the church with the same roof angles as the house and they tied the two together with the covered walk. A building committee and fundraising began. At the dedication service Rev. Isler said, " And thus a new congregation was created and grew." Some of the charter members are still living in Galt. Others have moved to different locations. At the dedication service Pastor Isler said, "As we dedicate our new church, we pay sincere tribute to the founders. We thank God for their vision, their courage, their sacrifices and their faith."
David House was built in 1849 by noted stone mason John Dalgleish for John Davidson. This home is one of a kind in the city. Constructed in the Gothic Style it features carved stone chimneys, french windows, decorated cornices under the eaves and hooded lintels made of cut stone around the upper parts of the windows. Each room has a marble fireplace, but today two fireplaces exist.
John Davidson was one of the town's most prominent citizens in the mid -1800. During his lifetime Davidson served as Mayor anf reeve for the town of Galt as well as postmaster. He was President of the Gore Mutual Insurance Company, and Captain of the 9th Co., 1st Bn., Waterloo County, Militia.
This home was designated as a Heritage Building 1988 and is architecturally and historically significant.
North Street Church
We purchased the property on North Street. The unususal feature, is that our new home for the next 48 years in Galt was far older than our congregation.
At the time of purchase in November of 1911, the the building was some 60 years old. It was built in the 1850's for the Wesleyan Methodist congregation. This makes this pillored building one of the oldest in the city.
The old chapel was sold the Galt High School board under the Dr. Tassie for $ 1,000. It served as a separate division for girls starting April 15, 1972. This lasted until 1881 when the collegiate became a co-educational institution following the death of Mr. Tassie.
The building once suggested as a museum by local historian Andrew W. Taylor was sold to the "Crown" for $ 750. It became then the Galt Armory, although it was at times rented to the public school board and later served as a social club. After our years at this location, we sold it to the Lions Club.